[EagleRidge Technologies Home]
Technologies' Favorite Links -- Systems Engineering and Project Management
Systems Engineering and Project Management
to the physical universe within which systems operate:
Systems Engineering Consulting and Training
Technologies, Inc. -- Systems Engineering Training, Project Management
Training, Course Development, Distance Learning, Web-based Course Development,
Editing, Writing, Systems Engineering consulting, Programming...
Services offered by
- TEAMS of Houston
-- Training, Course Development, and Systems Engineering Consulting
reference book on the Fundamentals of Engineering, from the National
Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES), in PDF format
Systems Engineering (general)
Systems Engineering Process: A Technical Bibliography -- here at INCOSE.org
Systems Theory, and Cybernetics Professional Organizations
Reference, Classic Texts...
- Marine Corps Operational Requirement Document (ORD) Handbook -- The ORD is part of the
OND, that part that describes how the system is supposed to be, i.e., your vision of the
- Use Case Papers -- excellent Use Case links. http://www.pols.co.uk/usecasezone/papers.htm
- Use Case Maps home page -- Everything about Use Case Maps (UCM). Very good site! Includes excellent UML links too. http://www.usecasemaps.org/
- Tutorials -- Good short tutorials on Use Cases, Architecture, Client/Server, and more! Sample scenarios, use cases, diagrams, etc. http://www.object-ideas.com/tutpage.htm; Note:
Apparently being re-done as of 6/4/2000, so not all tutorials are currently
available. But some are, and the information is excellent when
it's here. Check back again if you don't find what you are looking for the
first time. :)
- Use Case article -- Good tutorial on Use Cases, with practical examples, and a discussion of different types of Use Cases. http://www.ratio.co.uk/rsi.htm
- Overview of Object-Oriented Design and Analysis Using UML -- Good white paper. http://www.ratio.co.uk/white.html
- Object/Component Journal for Software Professionals -- Download Issue #3 and back issues here. Excellent articles on Use Cases, Design Patterns, etc. http://www.ratio.co.uk/
- Humor: The
First Book of System Design.
(see also: the "Software Engineering" links section.
Project Management Book of Knowledge: free book in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
Internet Directory of Generally Accepted Practices in Project Management
Information Week Online:
This "Interactive Source for Managing Technology in Business" is the online version of Information Week magazine. Good news and resources for the IT manager.
Problem practice and help for Project Managers and others:
-- Problems are rated by grade, for 5th through 12th grades.
If you can do all these, you should be OK with many project management word problems.
Word Problems on
-- If you can always get problems like these right, you
should do just fine solving scheduling and resource allocation problems using
project management software.
SOS Math -- Algebra
-- Most of this page is beyond what you will need in introductory project management classes, but the
arithmetic links at the beginning talk about problems you should be able to
Archives - Topics in Math - Arithmetic
-- Lots of links for help with arithmetic from the University of Tennessee in
Scheduling and Earned Value Management:
Tutorial on Simulation of PERT Networks -- Has good PERT overview too,
tutorial on use of Monte Carlo simulation and PERT, more...here
Some PERT charts from NASA -- Real examples, in Adobe Acrobat
Advantages and disadvantages of PERT charts listed, here
Comparison of PERT and CPM -- Another list. Note: AOA = Activity on Arrow, AON = Activity on Node, here
Critical Path Method (CPM) Terms -- Click through the slides get all the information, here
More on PERT -- Example of allowing for uncertainty, here
- The Navy's Earned Value Management links. A good starting point --
- Earned Value Management Web Site: Integrating Cost, Schedule and Technical Performance for Project Management. DoD on
EVM. Another good starting place. -- http://www.acq.osd.mil/pm/
- NNH's Earned Value FAQ -- http://www.nnh.com/ev/faqs.html
- Scheduling in a Nutshell. Good site on all aspects of scheduling. -- http://www.nnh.com/ev/nut2.html
- Some papers on Earned Value, Project Scheduling, PERT, Performance Measurement, Role of the Project Manager, Work Breakdown Structure, and much more -- http://www.nnh.com/ev/papers.html
- NASA's EVM site -- http://www1.msfc.nasa.gov/EVM/
- What is a Gantt chart? -- Short, easy-to-understand definition here, here
- Project Management Software, Gantt and PERT charts -- Some good links to
- Example Summary Work Breakdown Structure -- http://neon.airtime.co.uk/users/wysywig/swbs_1.htm
- NASA on Work Breakdown Structures and more -- Lots of info on Parametric
Cost Estimating, http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/bu2/PCEHHTML/pceh.htm
- Noel N. Haroff of NNH on WBS -- http://nnh.com/ev/wbs2.html
- Earned Value Bibliography: Comprehensive Bibliography of Earned Value
Literature, by Christensen, David S., Southern Utah University,
March 2000, here.
- Department of Defense Handbook, Work Breakdown Structures, here.
- Work Breakdown Structure article for beginners, here.
- NASA on Preparing a Program Work Breakdown Structure, here.
- Some sample Work Breakdown Structures of varying detail and completeness: here,
There are a great many more of these available on the web, both textual and
graphical. Try searching at Google for "Work Breakdown
Structure" (with the quotes):
Every effort is made to keep these links up-to-date. Please write if you have suggestions or comments.
Webmaster's email: webmaster @ ertin dot com
We are adding more to this site every week. Check back soon, and thank you for visiting.
About us |
EagleRidge Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.